Maintain control over what’s happening at your place any time of the day, whether you’re home or away, with the latest smart-home gadgets
Multi-functional smart technology is here to make your life easier and 2019 is the year to embrace it on every level. Let’s face it, we all live busy lives and barely have time to think about what’s for dinner, let alone remember that the floors need vacuuming before the in-laws come to brunch or that you were meant to leave a key out for the plumber.
Smart-home gadgets help maintain control over life’s little chores and pleasures, plus the big stuff too; think streaming your favourite playlist with a voice command using Google Home Hub, remotely checking who’s at the front door with the Ring Video Door Bell 2 or letting the Elextrolux Purei9 Robot Vacuum clean your floors while you pick up the kids from school.
Smart-home technology is about more than just convenience – these devices are designed to work efficiently to save you money on things like heating and electricity, alert you to an emergency, and create a safer home environment for you and your family. In a nutshell, we’re all about reaping the benefits of being connected without the complication. Here’s how to achieve that seamless integration at your place.
Devices such as the Ring Video Door Bell 2 and Arlo Pro Security Camera allow you greater control over your home access and more peace of mind when you’re out and about by giving you a direct line to what’s happening at your place 24/7. Both systems give you remote access by integrating with your smartphone, which allows you to act immediately if a problem arises on your property.
All about aesthetics
With today’s technology, you can set your home up with all the modern conveniences and smart-home devices without having to sacrifice your home styling. Whether you’re in a mid-century-modern character home, a new-build or an inner-city apartment, these gadgets fit in seamlessly and coexist with you in your space rather than being the focal point of your home.
We’ve been relying on apps to help organise our lives for a while now, but when it comes to your home, the latest technology can take easy living to the next level. Smart lighting with away-from-home control, Google Home’s voice-activated task reminders (you’ll never forget Monday night piano practice again!) and, of course, that magical Purei9 robot vacuum will all help lighten the daily load.
Noel Leeming Tech Expert Josh Tait’s tips for smart living
- Talk to an expert. They can help you choose a home assistant, such as Google, Alexa or Siri, that ticks all the boxes for you
- Select your smart lighting carefully. Before you buy, check that it will pair with your home assistant hardware and your smartphone.
- Think about the conveniences you enjoy. Whether these include home heating/cooling, music or entertainment, make them a priority when setting up your smart home. Always start with the things you will use the most.
- Install the relevant smartphone apps. Make sure you’ve got them on your own phone as well as any others in the house, so that you’re not the only one with the control.
- Plan your space before you start. While most smart-home gadgets are small enough to fit seamlessly with the aesthetics of your home, each item still needs its own designated spot. Ensure you have the necessary plugs and fittings in the right spaces for easy of use.
Ask an expert
With 74 stores nationwide, Noel Leeming is the authority on electronic appliances, technology and services in New Zealand, offering a wide range of premium products and the expertise to match.
Visit noelleeming.co.nz or PH 0800 44 44 88