After downsizing from a high-maintenance home to a sunny pre-designed new-build across town, this Rangiora family have no regrets
Meet + Greet
Jecasta South, 41 (homemaker), Pat South, 44 (sales manager at New Style Homes), Onika, 22, Jak, 18, Larkin, 12, and Mika, 10, plus Muffin the cat and Doogle the dog.
Jecasta’s top tips for group building
- Our experience with New Style Homes was unique because Pat was project and sales manager for the company at the time. That aside, everyone was great to deal with every step of the way.
- Make little adjustments to the house plans to best suit your daily life. For example, we built the kitchen and laundry cabinetry right up to the ceiling to make maximum use of the space; it also stops dust bunnies and clutter from accumulating.
- Lighting makes such a difference to the feel of any home. We added LED strip lighting to the underside of the cabinetry in the kitchen and laundry, and added good-quality outdoor lighting.
- Really good extractor fans are a must – we upgraded to 500 cubic metres per hour, which means we have steam-free bathroom mirrors and no condensation. We also put mild extraction in the laundry and pantry (no more burnt-toast smell).
- We added additional storage to the ceiling space including lighting and a solid pull-down ladder.
- Plan your walk-in wardrobe to suit your needs. We requested a couple of rows of smaller shelving up high for my shoes; it’s such a great use of space.
- Plan your outdoor living area as early as you can so you can get as much done as possible before you move in – eg pavers, lighting (or at least lay the conduit), garden taps at full mains pressure etc.
See more of the interior style below
Words by: Sharon Stephenson. Photography by: Sarah Rowlands