DIY and second-hand style was the name of the game for this determined couple who have created an open, sun-filled home for their family
A major DIY project opened this Nelson home out to the sun and sea views
Sam Williams, builder at Insideout Builders, Poppy MacPhedran, hair and makeup artist at Poppy Makeup Artist and founder of online store Yukiyo Natural Beauty, Jett, 7, and Nova, 5, plus cat Shima.
- The kitchen was small and dated with hardly any storage.
- The small patio did not take advantage of views over Nelson and did not allow enough outdoor living space.
- The bathroom was grimy and needed modernising.
- An open-plan kitchen and living area was created by removing two interior walls. New cabinetry was installed to make the space more modern and functional.
- A large, multi-level deck was built to replace the old patio. The wrought-iron balustrade was retained and repainted to preserve the 1950s look of the house.
- The 1970s colour palette was updated and new fittings were installed to create a fresh space.
Poppy: We spent around $50,000 but this was only because we did hundreds of hours of labour ourselves and enlisted our amazing friends and family to help us. We got great deals and shopped around a lot for kitchen appliances. It is good to have a budget and to price everything out. Also, shop around; don’t just get one quote, get multiple quotes – it makes a big difference.
Deck and landscaping – $15,000
Kitchen including appliances and insulation – $25,000
Bathroom – $10,000
Created by: Fiona Ralph. Photography by: Daniel Allen.