French country style meets colonial Kiwi in this traditional-style Christchurch home with a chic monochrome colour palette
A dreamy Christchurch home gets a bright makeover for $30,000
Denise Renalson, co-owner of a contracting business, and Mini Cooper the British Blue cat.
Denise’s style secrets
- Find a story in the pieces you buy. I have an eclectic style and I favour things that are old or have a story to them. The antique bowling balls in my table centrepiece had an earlier use and I like that. Look for things that mean something.
- Don’t be tempted to blindly follow trends if that is not what you love. Trends will come and go. Pieces that you treasure will last a lifetime.
- Try not to leave decisions to the last minute when you are redecorating. Give yourself time to make good choices.
- Window treatments need careful consideration. I wanted simple linen drapes in my bedroom and I love the full-length curtains. However, the fabric I used as a roman blind is a disaster. When it’s down it looks like a bland and insipid piece of material on the wall.
- If your home has beautiful window joinery and a stunning outlook, keep window treatments off the glazing where possible. It helps to enhance the view and allows more light to flood in.
A quick Q&A with Denise
- What was your budget?
I’ve spent around $30,000 on the redecorating.
- What is your favourite space?
I love to sit on the paved patio just outside the dining area. It is sunny, sheltered and overlooks the pond and the rest of the tree-lined garden.
- Any changes in the pipeline?
I want to redo the kitchen and the pantry. I like the style and the space but the joinery is looking a bit tired. I’m not convinced I have chosen the right colour for the interior so if I stay long enough, I will eventually have that painted out. Both bathrooms are on the makeover list, too.
Words by: Ady Shannon. Photography: Kate Claridge.