From walls to wardrobes, chalkboard paint offers a versatile base for a fun bedroom scheme, which can change along with your child
Use these clever ideas with blackboard paint in your kid’s bedroom
A monochromatic room never seems to date and it is an easy palette to live with for both adults and children. Splashes of colour can easily be added and altered as you wish, meaning this space can grow and change as your child does.
This cute girl’s room has a feature wall painted in Resene Blackboard Paint, which allows for both kids and adults to have some fun and get creative with chalk. When it is time for a change simply wipe away and start again with a blank canvas.
We’ve created a small reading nook by teaming a cute rocker with a soft cushion and velvet tassel throw. A space-saving picture ledge can be screwed to the wall to display your child’s books.
Old drawers can be given a new lease of life with a splash of paint. We have painted the drawer fronts in two coats of Resene Blackboard Paint and scribbled the contents of each drawer on the front, to help make tidying up fun.
A few fun ideas
- Write your child’s name on the wall using cool lettering and drawings of their favourite sports or animals to personalise the space.
- You don’t have to limit yourself to black. While black is the most popular colour for a blackboard, you can use other Resene colours, too. You can even combine a few favourite colours and paint a scene that doubles as a multi-coloured blackboard.
- Draw up a helpful timetable if your little one has a busy schedule.
- Paint wooden boxes in Resene Blackboard Paint, write the contents on the front and keep under the bed. Wooden boxes are great for storing Lego, blocks, small figurines and bits and bobs. The labelling will also help with a speedy tidy-up.
- List the jobs they need to do in the morning to get ready for school, eg get dressed, brush teeth, make bed, pack lunch, give Mum and Dad a hug…
- Writing out a favourite nursery rhyme or saying is a cute option too. You could also inscribe lines from songs, favourite books or knock knock jokes!
- Apply Resene Magnetic Magic under Resene Blackboard Paint to create a magnetic blackboard. Kids will have double the fun, writing and sticking magnets on the wall.
- At night, sneak in and write a message: “Good morning! Get your togs, we’re going to the beach!”
- If you like the look of a write-on wall but prefer to avoid chalk dust, use Resene Write-on Wall Paint to create whiteboard-style writing spaces. The paint is clear so you can use it over your favourite Resene colour to create a coloured whiteboard.
All the colours seen here are from the Resene Total Colour System.
Paints and colours are available from Resene ColorShops and resellers nationwide. resene.co.nz/colorshops or 0800 RESENE (737 363).
Created and styled by: Vanessa Nouwens. Photography by: Wendy Fenwick.