Bathrooms have evolved from utilitarian spaces to themed rooms designed for indulgence. Take inspiration from six of the latest international looks
1. Neo classic
- This moody, masculine look is grounded by a rich, dark base broken up with the use of luxe textures.
- A bright white ceiling offsets the richness of the base colour and brings light and levity to the scheme.
- Quality accessories are key – splash out on luxe leather, crafted glass, marble and heritage-style fittings.
- Stick to a muted palette that’s timeless and refined.
1. Pallenne glass vessel basin, $3599, from Kohler.
2. Twist pendant, from $425, from Monmouth Glass Studio.
3. Outline wall mirror, $480, from Tessuti.
4. Burlington London round freestanding bath, $1929, from Mico.
2. Deco glam
- This update of the art deco look is a twist on Hollywood glamour – think modern key pieces teamed with old-world details.
- Gold and brass are key to the deco look.
- Geometric shapes bring interest in the form of crisp tiling and square bathware.
- Ground the gold with warm wood and cool marble.
- Statement lighting will take this look to the next level.
1. Magnolia hanging shelf, $129.99, from EziBuy.
2. Bloomingville marble soap dispenser, $149, from Perch Home.
3. Agora slide shower, $1719, from Robertson Bathware.
4. Elementi Quadra wall vanity 1000 white gloss, $2041, from Robertson Bathware.
5. Purist lever-handle hob-mount basin set in rose gold, $910, from Kohler.
6. Extra-large gold mirror, $469, from Perch Home.
3. Contemporary edge
- A chalky paint hue, such as pale pink, teamed with soft white creates a fresh, calming, modern look.
- Keep the hues light and dusty to avoid veering into the realm of candy colours, which can get old fast.
- Accents in black, gold and pale marble keep this look contemporary and stylish.
- Soft, feminine forms recall the shapes of the body and are offset by clean lines in tiling and hardware.
1. Arlec heated towel rail, $39.95, from Bunnings.
2. Ceramic toilet brush, $14, and soap dispenser, $7, from Kmart.
3. Mondella matte black Vivace basin, $169, from Bunnings.
4. Marmo MR200 basin mixer in Carrara marble, POA, from Evolution of Surfaces.
5. Paffoni Ringo basin mixer, $475, from Mico.
6. Edge 1200 vanity in custom colour, $1840, from Smail & Co.
7. Christy Supreme Hygro towels in pink, from $16, from Little Additions.
4. Global wanderer
- The earthy tones of arid climates and desertscapes ground this look.
- Red ochre, dusty blues and soft greens add depth and draw you in.
- Layer items in stone, wood, basketwork and rustic linens to create the feeling of a story behind every object.
- Timber vanities, curved tapware and clean, white bathware complement and offset this bohemian look.
1. Romeo shelf, $119, from EziBuy.
2. Missoni Stephen towel, $54, from Tessuti.
3. Derring Wading Pool self-rimming basin, $1429, from Kohler.
5. Luxury hotel
- Hotel spa style is luxurious and timeless, and appeals to all five senses.
- Look for high-quality fittings that feel beautiful to touch and use.
- Dial up the sensuality with textural tiles and ultra-fluffy towels and robes.
- Finish with a tropical plant for lushness and a truly heavenly handwash.
1. Sirocco Alumino 1200 Exochique vanity with Serifos basin, $3870, from Athena.
2. Tumbler and soap dispenser, $8 each, from Kmart.
3. Artificial anthurium, $32, from Kmart.
4. Crest Sereno shower, $1669, from Mico.
6. Moorish spa
- Travel to North Africa and up through southern Spain with this earthy yet decadent bathroom look.
- Exposed piping and heritage bath and tapware create an old-world vibe.
- Graphic tiles in dusty terracotta and blue have a handcrafted, artisanal feel.
- Rich colours and a splash of gold bring this heritage look up to date.
1. Carina chandelier by Charles Lethaby Lighting, $4515, from ECC.
2. Perrin & Rowe Victorian basin (excluding taps), $675, from In Residence.
3. Cassini 1500 freestanding bath, $2170, from Athena.
4. Christy Supreme Hygro towels in honey, from $16, from Little Additions.
Compiled by: Shani Luckman and Shelley Ferguson.