An investment piece that sets the tone of a room, sofas play an important decor role and choosing a one is tricky business. Here are some tips and styles to get your started
9 of our favourite sofas and what to consider before buying one
- Measure up the space you’ve allocated for your sofa before heading to the shops. Make sure you measure the door frame of the room your sofa is going into to ensure it will fit through.
- Your sofa should be the same style and scale as your other furniture so it doesn’t seem oddly sized or out of place in your home.
- The fabric selection should be based on how it will be used and where. If your sofa is for a busy area such as a family living room, a delicate fabric or light colour will quickly degrade. Also consider sun exposure as dark fabrics will fade in sunny spots.
- Ask about the sofa frame, construction, fabric, cushions and cleaning.
- Choose a colour you can live with for a long time. You can always change things up with cushions and accessories.
Complied by: Vanessa Nouwens.