Those trusty curtains hang around all year doing their job, but sometimes they need some love. Homes to Love NZ chatted to curtain specialists Harvey Furnishings to uncover some top tips for cleaning curtains
What’s a simple step I can take to maintain my curtains?
Gently vacuuming them with a brush attachment to prevent dust build-up is a must.
Are there different cleaning instructions depending on the fabric or type of curtain?
Yes. As with clothing, different fabric and types of curtains will require certain treatment. Where available, the specific care instructions for your curtains should always be followed in the first instance. If in doubt we recommend taking your curtains to a specialist drycleaner like Zenith in Auckland.
I want to clean my curtains myself, how should I go about it?
- Take curtains down and remove all hooks, rings and trims. For pencil pleat curtains untie the heading cords and release the pleats.
- Lukewarm handwash with a mild detergent. We recommend using the bath rather than the laundry tub. If concerned about colour fastness, test a small area on the reverse side of the hem first.
- For thermal curtains, it’s important that you don’t let the thermal coating stick to itself.
- Do not bleach, soak, wring or tumble dry.
- Do not use pegs or or fold over the clothesline. Instead hang the curtains by their hooks to dry in the shade.
- Warm iron or simply hang again and leave any creases to naturally fall out.
Do you have any tips for cleaning venetian blinds?
Venetian blinds need to be dusted or carefully vacuumed regularly using the brush attachment. To remove marks or built-up dust, wipe with a damp (not wet) cloth with mild detergent.
Do you have any tips for cleaning roller blinds?
Like curtains, this depends on the type of fabric and you should follow the manufacturer’s instructions in the first instance. Generally sunscreen and blockout roller blinds can be carefully wiped with a damp cloth. For woven fabrics a regular vacuum using the brush attachment is important.
For more curtain tips and tricks visit Harvey Furnishings.