If you’re on the hunt for unique vintage furniture Trademe is a good place to start. Here are some handy hacks to help you with your search
10 top tips for buying vintage furniture on Trademe
- If you find something you like, check out the seller’s other listings. You can also save the seller to your favourites.
- Always check measurements and request them if they are not noted.
- Ask if there are any defects, chips or marks. Some sellers will include photos of these, or you can request them.
- Ask what items are made from to assess the quality of the piece.
- Don’t be shy to request extra photos if you want to see a different angle or close-up view.
- Ask for information on the designer or maker. Some furniture items will have a sticker underneath bearing the maker’s name or brand.
- Did you know there is an antiques and collectables category, with a sub-category for art deco and retro? These are handy for finding items from specific eras.
- You can filter your search results to show secondhand items only – just select ‘used’ instead of ‘all’ or ‘new’ on the condition tab.
- Try multiple keywords. For example, if you are looking for a sideboard, you can also search ‘credenza’ and ‘cabinet’.
- Filter the search results by area if you are looking for items that are harder to transport. Then you can ask to view the item before bidding, too.
Words by: Fiona Ralph. Photography by: kicsiicsi/123rf