Trend alert! You heard it here first: desert-chic is the new neutral. Following her trip to Abu Dhabi, stylist Amber Armitage show us how to nail this look at home
How to nail the dreamy desert-chic colour trend
The contrast between the modern and the ancient is what makes Abu Dhabi so fascinating. Situated on the edge of the Persian Gulf and close to the desert, the rolling sandscapes, crystal blue water, breathtaking palaces and ornate architectural details were a new kind of beautiful to me.
The patterns and textures in the sand are simple yet complex, and the arid landscape has a rosy glow that inspires a warm, dusty colour palette. Use sandy tones warmed up by pink and terracotta, and contrast them with the pale blues of sky and sea. Sculptural white ceramics evoke the domes of Abu Dhabi’s ancient mosques and architecture.
- Layer earthy tones of sand, taupe and terracotta with paler cream and beige.
- Pink highlights warm up the palette.
- Dried arrangements of leaves and flowers add subtle colour as well as evoking the blooms and plants of the desert.
- Wooden furniture in pale finishes and classical shapes adds texture and a sense of history.
- Simple white ceramics in a variety of shapes and sizes creates a mini Middle Eastern skyline.
- A splash of dusty blue adds a hint of the desert sky and salty waters of the Persian Gulf.
Created and styled by: Amber Armitage. Photography by: Melanie Jenkins/Flash Studios.