From vibrant velvets to muted organic linens and artisan elements, our experts share their 6 favourite fabric trends you need to know
6 of our favourite fabric trends to look out for
- Pantone recently unveiled ‘Greenery’ as its 2017 Colour of the Year so expect to see palettes drawn from nature being widely used in drapery and soft furnishings.
- Modern tapestry is back in fashion, both in upholstery fabrics and beautiful wall hangings. The intricate patterns and textures create visual interest and the rich colours echo this season’s trend for jewel tones.
- The desire for traditional textiles remains strong, with ikat fabrics especially in vogue (these involve a technique of binding and dip-dyeing yarn before weaving it, creating muted, hazy patterns with a tribal feel).
- People crave human connection so it’s no surprise that we’re still seeing the influence of art and craft. Fabrics featuring painterly effects from watercolours and dreamy landscapes to bold brushstrokes stay on-trend.
- are big for both drapery and upholstery and bring a luxe, elegant look to any interior.
- As organic, muted palettes continue to dominate, the world has once again fallen in love with linen. A linen and polyester blend is also popular for curtains as people seek out more liveable fabrics.
Words by: Annick Larkin and Shelley Ferguson. Photography by: Toaki Okano. Feature image by: Nick Scott/bauersyndication.com.au.