With ANZ, Homes to Love is exploring the ways we live now, under the theme of ‘Personalisation’ – and how this trend allows us to live and build today.
Personalising your home is often taken to mean hanging a couple of pictures and choosing where the couch goes. But the best homes do far more than that: a really good house will be a container for all of the things you love, at the same time as expressing your own style. The best thing about personalisation, though? Creating a house that perfectly fits the way you and you family live.
The 5 rules:
- Blank canvases are boring – choose materials with warmth and texture that are sympathetic to the things you’ve collected.
- Think about how you live now and how that will change – open plan is great for young couple and families, but older families need places for retreat.
- Worry less about resale and more about what you and your family actually need from a house.
- Choose what you like, not what’s in vogue – whether that’s kitchen tiles or paint colours.
- Hire architects and builders who listen to you and then give them a very clear brief.