With ANZ, Homes to Love is exploring the ways we live now, under the theme of ‘Simplicity’ – and how this trend allows us to live and build today.
Keeping things simple gets harder each year. Houses get bigger and more expensive, filled with more stuff and yet, our enjoyment of them remains the same.
Conversely, by building only what they need, homeowners are increasingly finding a delight in simplicity and restraint – saving money at the same time.
As architect Davor Popadich says, “If you could have every choice, what choice would you make? This became more about what was essential and we ended up with everything we needed.”
The 5 rules:
- Stay with a limited palette throughout the house – whites and greys, for example, create a cohesive feel, but so can timber.
- Choose light, neutral fabrics and simple materials in the living space – and stay away from furniture with strong patterns.
- In the kitchen, neutral walls and matt units with concealed handles create a sleek look.
- Don’t clutter up that beautiful space with too many things – display only what you love and rotate things often.
- Worry about the small things. One of the delights of a simple house is when everything is done well: attention to detail is crucial.
Check out our simple home furnishing inspiration here