Supporting Kiwi-designed products has never been so easy – or so inspiring. This bedroom scheme by Alex Walls showcases some of our finest local homewares
Alex Walls shares her favourite Kiwi-designed products you need to know
For such a small country at the bottom of the world, the talent and creativity that comes out of our land blows me away. This month I am so proud to be a Kiwi with this ultra-cool bedroom setting which is 100 per cent pure New Zealand.
Every piece in this room has a touch of Aotearoa, either designed or made (or both) by someone down the road. It’s pretty neat to see what our creatives are doing around the country and it was particularly fun to pull it all together and create a bedroom dedicated to local talent.
Keeping it kiwi
1. Our mates at Mavis & Osborn design and make these lovely waffle towels and sturdy, practical laundry baskets. I love how something as simple as a laundry basket can bring such a refreshing pop of colour and style into a room.
2. Penney & Bennett are two skilled print designers who work with gorgeous organic cottons and linen to create items such as the robe, slippers and printed bed cushion featured here.
3. Made of Tomorrow uses folded metal to create Scandi-style accessories for bedsides, shelving and decorating.
4. Ashley & Co is a local hand soap, lotion and home fragrance brand that’s a household favourite of mine.
5. Arnold Circus stools are designed in London by Martino Gamper but made here from 100 per cent recyclable polyethylene.
6. Dulux has a fabulous Colours of New Zealand range that’s easy to apply in your home. The colours are named after some of your favourite places in New Zealand – I’ve chosen Dulux ‘Mt Albert’ for this bedroom setting.
Words by: Alex Walls. Photography: Bayly & Moore.