Take your winter colour palette cues from centuries past, bringing deep yet comforting blue-based shades into your cosiest living spaces
Blue is associated with calm and tranquility, as well as healing and health. For this reason, transform your walls with this palette in areas you spend your downtime, such as your living room or bedroom.
Tips for using dark, rich blue:
- Warm hues such as ruby and citrine really pop against a background of midnight blue. Bring them through in your ornaments and soft furnishings.
- Team deep-toned Resene paint colours with feature wallpapers to break up your space, adding interest and texture.
- Use a matte paint, such as Resene SpaceCote Flat, to bring out the moodiness in the paint colour.
- Scared of going too dark? Don’t be! You can always add mirrors to lighten the space and help reflect light back into the room.
- Balance a statement Resene paint colour with soothing textures such as natural linen, suede and velvet to soften the look.
- As blue is the colour of the sea and sky it makes sense to add even more natural elements to your space, such as winter foliage and wooden furniture in any shade.
If your room has a high stud and you want to create a cosier space, continue your darker Resene colour onto your ceiling to make it appear lower. For true opulence, opt for dark chocolate-brown flooring.
A dark blue room can be quickly transformed from masculine to feminine by introducing tones of terracotta, pale pink or ochre.
View the huge range of wallpaper options in the wallpaper library at your local Resene ColorShop. All paint colours are from the Resene colour range. View A4 swatches of all colours in the colour library at your local Resene ColorShop.
Resene paints and colours are available from Resene ColorShops and resellers nationwide. resene.co.nz/colorshops or 0800 RESENE (737 363).
Styling by: Melle van Sambeek. Photography by: Helen Bankers.