From fabrics and lights to wallpaper and paint, this inspiring guide to our favourite interior trends will help to inspire your home this year
Hard-flooring trends this season are inspired by the colours, shapes, motifs and mosaics of Morocco. Rusty, earthy terracotta tones are key, while dark wood and blackened steel create depth. Time-honoured techniques such as terrazzo and parquetry add texture, with natural surfaces such as marble upping the luxe factor.
- Balance warm colours with a cool element – for example, anchor a busy feature tile with blackened steel or brass.
- You can find beautiful tiles and pottery pieces secondhand on Trade Me. Their lived-in appearance will add to this look, which is all about character and time-worn charm.
- Don’t be afraid to layer different shapes and patterns as long as there is a consistent colour or element that links it all together.
1 Clover cast-iron bottle opener, $59, from Everyday Needs.
2 Herringbone desk tidy by Phil Cuttance, $105, from Everyday Needs.
3 Den armchair in Panama, $1299, from Freedom.
4 Teak platter, $59.90, from Crave Home.
5 Brass vase, $79, from Indie Home Collective.
6 Black retro stool, $369, from Father Rabbit.
7 Aztec cushion, $149.99, from Alex & Corban.
A handmade quality is key in this season’s lighting. Hand-blown glass, woven jute and Japanese-style fabric pendants all embody this look. Brushed brass in curvy forms is a contrasting yet complementary style.
- There are some amazing table lamp designs around at the moment; choose your fave and make it a feature piece.
- If you are getting pendants wired in by a professional, look for a light fitting with an interchangeable shade so you can switch it out down the track.
- Consider the size and ceiling height of your space as it’s important that a pendant suits the scale of the room. Ask your electrician to set up your light at various lengths and leave it for a few days before permanently wiring it in so you have time to live with it before making a final decision.
1 Living & Co table lamp, $15, from The Warehouse.
2 Walker pendant, $269, from Indie Home Collective.
3 Newman smoked glass table lamp, $279.99, from Alex & Corban.
4 Tamara pendant, $139, from Freedom.
5 Washi paper lampshade, $80.50, from Everyday Needs.
6 Shaz table lamp, $145, from Father Rabbit.
7 Arch pendant, $1620, from Douglas & Bec.
Luxurious plush velvets and light linens contrast with more rustic textures this season. Pair gold, blush and creamy hues with botanical prints and leafy details to create a peaceful, nature-inspired retreat.
- Layering lots of luxe fabrics will give your space a warm, inviting and nurturing feel. For this look, more is more!
- Hang linen drapes at ceiling height and allow them to pool on the floor for a lavish, romantic statement.
- Floor cushions and ottomans supply an instant sense of relaxation, and rounded furniture shapes will increase this feeling of softness and welcome. Keep a slouchy basket nearby to tidy away cushions and throws when not in use.
1 Aurelien cushion, $29.95, from Freedom.
2 Natural mesh planter, $34.99 for two, from Alex & Corban.
3 Cotton velvet cushion cover, $49.90, from Citta
4 Aura vintage linen throw, $179.99, from Alex & Corban.
5 Linen cushion by Penney + Bennett, $119, from Paper Plane.
6 Hand-woven fringed rug, $490, from Crave Home.
7 Arch vanity chair, $1490, from Douglas & Bec.
Paint and wallpaper
Moody watercolours create a soft and poetic atmosphere perfect for inspiring creativity. Subtle graphics and jewel tones are complemented by soft sand and blush colours. Mauve and purplish plum add depth and mystery.
- Purple is the colour of the moment and there are plenty of paint tones to help you embrace it. Try Resene ‘Loulou’, ‘Honey Flower’ or ‘Maverick’.
- Wallpaper doesn’t have to cover large areas. It could be used for a feature wall or nook or even to create a headboard.
- Think about how you want to feel in the space you are painting or wallpapering. Darker jewel tones enclose a space, making it feel cosy and comforting, while shades of sand and blush and warm whites conjure a warm, relaxing and serene mood
1 Living & Co tassel throw in burgundy, $20, from The Warehouse.
2 Tom Dixon Bump water jug, $250, from Simon James.
3 Felix foot stool, $750, from Me & My Trend.
Created by: Catherine Wilkinson. Photography by: Mike Rooke.