Step into island time when you channel a tropical Christmas style in your home this year. Here are some styling hacks and where to shop the look
Here’s how you can make a tropical Christmas tree with wallpaper
If you have a laidback, tropical vibe going on in your home, you may be inspired by this palm room. The combination of Resene ‘Forest Green’, crisp white and textured elements such as the rattan table, light, basket and rug, makes for a fresh, festive feel.
This strong green wall is the perfect backdrop for a DIY palm-leaf wallpaper tree. To make it, take a sheet of plywood and cut into a triangle (ours is 181cm tall by 120cm wide). Lay the triangle on the floor and roll a piece of wallpaper down the middle. Use either glue or double-sided tape to fix the wallpaper to the board. Trim off excess and secure the edges at the back of the triangle. If the lower corners are still showing, cut two more pieces of wallpaper to cover them up, ensuring you line up the pattern; trim and secure as before. Now simply lean your ‘tree’ against a wall and top with a star.
To harmonise with the palm theme, use the leftover wallpaper from the roll to wrap presents. Team with raffia ribbon and gift tags. If you have lots of presents, keep them tidy by storing some in a basket.
Colour styling tip
For a room scheme to be cohesive, it’s important to keep tones similar when selecting furniture and decor
Shop the look
- Wall painted in Resene ‘Forest Green’.
- Floor painted in Resene ‘Rice Cake’.
- Bell basket pendant, $159, Teke green cushion, $54.95, Palm Springs sofa, $1399, marble tealight holder, $15.95, Hampshire basket, $69.95 large, Madras tassel rug, from $159, Rogue bird of paradise plant, $269, all from Freedom.
- Vivid palm wallpaper, $102.99 per roll, from Aspiring Walls.
- Jungle blanket stitch cushion, $79.99, Amos vase in sage, $29.99, from Shut The Front Door.
- Evergreen cushion (in middle), $59.90, from Wallace Cotton.
- Rattan and walnut coffee table, $795, from Me & My Trend.
- Glass Co Collective green tea candle, $32.90, from Bed Bath & Beyond.
- Raffia ribbon, $2, from Look Sharp.
- Merry Christmas gift tag, $3.90, from Father Rabbit.
Created and styled by: Vanessa Nouwens. Photography by: Wendy Fenwick.