From key chains to wall hangings, these creative home decor projects are a fun and easy way for you to upcycle your T-shirts
1. Tea light holder
Give a simple glass votive a boho look by making a decorative plaited wrap for it.
- Take 3 x 2m lengths of T-shirt yarn and knot together at 1 end.
- Plait the yarn and knot at other end. Fold plait in half and place votive inside loop.
- Wind ends around votive, going in opposite directions.
- Thread bottom end underneath the coils, going from bottom to top.
- Repeat with top end, going from top to bottom.
- Tie ends together as per picture.
- Pop in a candle and enjoy.
2. Wall hanging
Store-bought wall hangings can be pricey so why not try making your own?
- Take a 55cm length of 12mm-diameter dowel.
- Cut T-shirt yarn in varying lengths from 80cm to 140cm.
- You will need 6 pieces of yarn of each length.
- Group each length and fold in half.
- Hold the looped end in front of the dowel then grasp loose ends and pull through loop to enclose dowel.
- Hang yarn in ascending or descending lengths, or mix them up a little.
- You could use yarn in a single colour or a mix of colours like we have done.
- To create a hanger, tie a 130cm piece of yarn to each end of the dowel, then hang on the wall.
- Take 9 x 1m lengths of T-shirt yarn.
- Group into 3 sets and tie them all together in a knot at 1 end.
- Plait the 3 sets together.
- Coil plait around the knot end to create coaster.
- With a needle and thread, sew the end of the plait under the coaster to secure.
4. Tassel key ring
- This can be whipped up in a matter of minutes.
- Simply cut 12 x 30cm lengths of T-shirt yarn and fold in half.
- Attach a key ring clip at the end of the loop.
- Take a small piece of T-shirt and tie it underneath the loop to create a tassel.
- Knot it tightly and cut off any excess.
- Add keys and it’s good to go.
Words by: Vanessa Nouwens. Photography by: Wendy Fenwick.