No matter where these cosy built-in bench seats are in the house, they instantly invite you to snuggle up, tuck your feet in and read a good book
There’s a reason why booth seats in a cafe are the most popular choice by patrons. With cushioning beneath and behind you, and ample room to spread out, these are the most comfortable seats in the house.
In fact, the lure of a built-in bench seat, whether it’s next to a window or around a kitchen dining table, has probably enticed most homeowners at one point or another.
And why wouldn’t it? As mentioned above, with its couch-like properties, nothing but comfort awaits. Be it in summer, basking in the sun, or in winter with a hot cup of coffee and a cosy blanket around you, built-in bench seats are an interior must-have.
Build your own bench seat:
You’ll need: Ruler; screwdriver; square; handsaw; hammer; electric sander; drop cloths; paintbrush, and a tall cabinet as the basis for this bench seat.
How to make:
- Assemble the flat-packed cabinet without attaching the hinges, door or handle. Insert one shelf or more if desired. Do not put the backing on yet. Lie cabinet on its back. Trim the pine top from 1800mm x 600mm to 1800mm x 400mm.
- Now fit the edging to three sides of the pine top (the long side which will go against the wall does not need edging). Start with a short side, gluing and pinning the edging with pin nails, and keeping it flush with the top. Continue the edging along the other two sides, mitring the corners of the edging (use a square to mark a 45° angle and cut with a saw).
- Give everything a good sand once the glue is dry.
- Screw the new pine top onto the door using 32mm wood screws.
- The cupboard, when upright, does not have a base, so we need to create one as this will form one of the sides of the bench seat. Cut a piece of 6mm hardboard to fit flush with the sides of the cabinet. Attach with wood glue and secure along edges with pin nails. When glue is dry, sand and fill in the holes with filler.
- For the bottom of the storage box, you can either attach the provided backing or leave bottom-less if you prefer.
Scroll down to see 21 of the best built-in bench seats to inspire your own