When it comes to choosing furniture, a bit of research and creative thinking goes a long way. Alex Fulton shares her tips for finding stylish bunk beds that will stand the test of time
Kid’s bedroom ideas: Where to find cool bunk beds
Like any furniture, you tend to get what you pay for and beds aren’t cheap, especially well-made ones. I have picked out some awesome models for kids’ rooms that I know stand the test of time and look good, which is what we want.
An alternative to purchasing new would be to buy a secondhand bed and breathe life into it with a new mattress and fresh coat of paint. Depending on the cost, getting secondhand bunk beds professionally sprayed in a two-pot lacquer is a great option and you also get to choose a colour that will suit the space.
Here are a few other considerations for bunks
- Ensure they meet New Zealand safety standards.
- Think about the size difference between single and king single (which is actually a double).
- Consider the cost versus the amount of use you will get out of bunks – is there a younger sibling or family member to pass them down to when they are outgrown?
- Find a style that suits your budget, aesthetic and function.
For something new try the following
- Dream Cloud loft bed, AU$1595 plus shipping, from plyroom.com.au.
- Saturn bunk bed, $1289, from Windmill Kids Furniture.
- Bunkboy bunk, $3490, from Meluka.
Words by: Alex Fulton. Photography by: Maree Homer/bauersyndication.com.au.