Creative mums Lisa Courtney and Alanna Haysmith created this ‘Head in the Clouds’ themed birthday party for a 10 year old. Here’s how they did it…
Lisa created this ‘Head in the Clouds’ setting for partygoers to play in, as well as setting up some activities to keep them busy.
The party decoration details
- The cloud balloon ceiling was fun to put up using a mix of giant and regular-sized balloons.
- Creating fondant cacti and succulents for mini chocolate cakes baked into terracotta pots brought out the girls’ decorating skills, as did designing the cloud cookies.
- The girls made potted gardens to take home by filling glass jars from The Pretty Baker with a selection of soil, stones and ‘gems’, planted succulents, pansies and sweet peas.
- Artificial grass is easy to install, soft underfoot and makes cleaning up a breeze – just lift and shake outside!
Lisa’s party tips
- Contain the party in one area as it has more impact than trying to decorate an entire room. Saves money too!
- For our ‘set’ we sourced very cheap off-cuts of artificial grass to define the scene. It felt great underfoot and once the party was over we just shook all the party food crumbs off outside, so clean-up was a breeze.
- We filled our scene with a mix of what we had around the house such as side tables, cloud vases, stepladders and crates. You’d be amazed at what you have lying around that can be used in different ways!
- I store my party pieces in giant containers so they can be reused from year to year. Tissue fans for example, are great for this as they fold down easily and can be used time and time again. I find I spend less and less every year.
- Cacti cupcakes using Pretty Baker chocolate crunch soil, and chocolate cases; Cloud meringues made by macarons.co.nz; Cloud biscuit pops served in a chocolate ‘log’ made by Lisa;Cloud cookies made by Lisa and decorated by guests using edible markers; Lemon meringue cloud mousse using Lewis Road Creamy cream and FreshAs freeze-dried fruits
- Mini chocolate cupcakes; Vegetable sticks; Sausage rolls by I Love Pies; Strawberry-rimmed Lewis Road Creamery milk; Red velvet layer cake with Pretty Baker’s smooth cream cheese icing decorated with fondant succulents and topped with ten ivory dot tall candles.