From its statement tiles to its grey grouting the judges loved everything about this guest bathroom on The Block AU. We round up our top tips for recreating their style
The Block AU: Carleen and Dan’s master bathroom
Blinding whites with hints of black and metallics were the order of the day on The Block Australia. All five teams went for a simple and elegant colour palette in their bathrooms, but each managed to add their own twist to the theme.
Here we profile the bathroom details from Carleen and Dan’s bathroom that made a splash.
This bathroom scrubbed up a treat for all three judges. “I absolutely love it,” Neale said. The judges praised the cornices, while Darren felt the walnut vanity and tumbled-brass tapware were right on trend. It was a “special” room that would appeal to buyers who were after the “new traditional” look, he said.
Shaynna admired the tiles and the grey grout, which gave the room a modern touch. The only glaring omission was the lack of light switches (they were outside the room). Not a sensible decision, said a baffled Shaynna. Yet it was the only detail that let the room down.
- The restored original heritage door is a nod to art deco and maintains a sense of the period.
- A nook in the shower is the perfect place to keep toiletries.
- Plants and flowers add a special touch to the bathroom and it’s easy to remember to water them!
- Use a patterned geometric tile on the floor as a sharp contrast to plain wall tiles.
- A hook can be a handy place to put your towels but don’t forget to add a towel rack to the bathroom to maximise hanging space.
- No need to worry about the tap (wall-mounted in the centre) getting in the way when you’re bathing.
Shelley Ferguson discusses bathroom trends from The Block NZ
Words by: Erin Miller and Chris Pearson. Photography by: Tess Kelly and Channel 9 Australia.