Bright, bold, hushed hues or statement style, drapery is the perfect flourish to your interior look. We round up the top tips when it comes to colour
Colour tips with Freedom Furniture
- Before choosing a colour, decide if you want the curtains to blend with your decor or make a statement.
- If you opt to blend, go for fabrics that are tonally the same but a few shades darker than the wall, to create contrast.
- Create wow factor with bold hues, but keep in mind that if you don’t line your curtains, the colour may infuse the room when the sun shines through the fabric.
- Add impact with colour and pattern. If you use one pattern such as a stripe, repeat it somewhere else in the room, even if the colour and scale are different.
- Add drama by choosing geometric patterns, large-scale florals or bold colours.
- The more substantial the thread count, the more durable the fabric. Added weight will allow curtains to hang and drape beautifully.
- Use a wider fabric when stacking curtains to one side as fewer seams looks tidier.
- Maintain the appearance of your curtains by finding out how to best care for the fabric and style you’ve chosen.
Colours and fabrics will fade in the harsh New Zealand sun, so delay the process by:
- Ensuring the curtain track is wide enough for curtains to be pulled away from the window.
- Using a good-quality lining. This will help with UV damage and provide extra insulation.
- Using a sun-screening roller shade during the day to avoid exposure to intense UV rays.
Words by: Annick Larkin and Shelley Ferguson. Photography by: Toaki Okano.