Bring together a simple colour palette, great lighting, timber textures and streamlined cabinet handles for a kitchen that’s warm and contemporary
Clean lines and texture
Kitchens are notoriously expensive to make changes to, so pick a look that will stand the test of time. Stylist Annick Larkin has opted for a simple white, chrome and timber colour palette. She has introduced texture through offset subway tiles, white gloss benchtops and timber cabinetry – chosen for its warmth as well as its textured grain. Industrial accents give the space a more contemporary edge.
Get the look with these products from Mitre 10 MEGA
1. Jeffrey Court wall tiles in Allegro White 76 x 152mm, 186167
2. Mercator Naomi pendant light, 273862
3. Stream Iza sink mixer, 192621
4. Caesarstone stone benchtop, snow
5. Sylvan 128mm handle in Satin Nickel Finish, 211470; Sylvan 192mm Handle in Satin Nickel Finish, 211472
6. Nouveau Melteca kitchen cabinetry in Sublime Teak
7. Nouveau Melteca kitchen cabinetry in Washed Oak
8. Lakestone glazed porcelain tiles in Charcoal 600 x 600mm, 248934
9 Classique 900mm Canopy rangehood, 248780
10 DeLonghi 900mm freestanding oven, 246552
11 Classique 580 litre fridge freezer, 282331
12 Heritage Hardware Kingston double bowl undermount sink, 234880
Lighting is important! It enhances colour and creates ambience. Proper layering of light involves the careful use of task, accent (decorative), and ambient (overall) lighting within each room. Develop a lighting plan that addresses every purpose your room may serve. The industrial pendant lights (pictured above, number 2) from Mitre 10 MEGA do it all. They provide all-purpose illumination, task lighting, which focuses light onto the benchtop, and accent lighting, to highlight the contemporary industrial elements in this space.
Kitchen cabinets don’t usually come with handles or knobs, so homeowners can really add to the design of their kitchen space through their choice of handles. In this kitchen, Annick went with simple chrome handles to follow the streamlined cabinetry. In contrast, she deliberately chose the chrome undermount double sink and tap for their rounded edges as they break up and create contrast to the abundance of clean lines.
Annick is a freelance stylist, writer, and mother to Lottie, 6, Esther, 5, and Tom, 3. She is a regular contributor to Your Home and Garden, inspiring our readers with beautiful and unique homes from around the country. Although better known for pushing the boundaries with colour, Annick suggests in high-cost areas, such as the kitchen, that you to keep the colour palette simple and refined.
Annick’s styling tips
- Keep the colour palette simple and add texture through wood grains, tiles and flooring.
- Bring colour into your kitchen via accessories, wall art, utensils and potted greens.
- Contemporary kitchens look best with streamlined cabinet and drawer handles.
- For overall light, space pendant lights evenly throughout the room or over the work area.
At Mitre 10 MEGA you’ll find the complete kitchen solution you’re looking for: appliances, sinks and tapware, lighting, flooring and paint. They offer budget-friendly and high-end materials, including New Zealand-made cabinetry with quality European made hardware by Hafele, and even housewares. The fantastic kitchen consultants are available at all Mitre 10 MEGA stores to ensure you get your dream kitchen and an in-store designer will walk you through the whole process from design through to installation.
Visit mitre10.co.nz/kitchens or head to your local Mitre 10 MEGA to start designing your dream kitchen.