This 1950s Devonport house proved to be the blank slate interior stylist Kate Alexander had been searching for to transform into her dream family home
Who lives here?
Kate Alexander (interior stylist and owner of Places & Graces), Matt Kardos (enterprise architect for Electric Kiwi), Harry, and Molly, plus Mindy the Jack Russell.
- Do a seasonal change. Move things around – it’s healthy and combats a sense of stagnation or inertia in your own personal life.
- Invest in feather cushion inners. They sit properly on your couch and bounce back to life after being squashed.
- Re-purposing is so satisfying. One night we decided to pull up the carpet in the lounge. We cut it into three pieces and made rugs: one edged in grey for the lounge, one edged in pink for the play room and one for a friend. Three rugs for the price of $300 for edging – bargain!
- Ask for advice to get you going then practise, practise. I was a novice gardener when we moved here so I asked a green-fingered friend to spend time with me, getting the basics in place. That set me off on the right path.
- Don’t pull down your pelmets – use them as display ledges.
Love this house? Now get the look!
Story by: Debbie Harrison. Photography by: Helen Bankers.