A farming family decided to start from scratch rather than renovate – the results are a modern farmhouse that’s everything they dreamed of and more
Who lives here?
Sarah Isbister, husband Gareth (both cattle farmers), and Harriet, 3, plus border terrier Floyd and Poppy the cat.
- Have fun! Building a house is such a huge and daunting task but it is also one of the most exciting and rewarding things we’ve ever done.
- Stick to your guns. If there is something you really want there will always be a way to achieve it.
- Don’t give yourself too many options. Narrow it down to two or three options and make your decision from there.
- Splurge on one or two items. See if you can cut costs elsewhere so that you can have that one really special feature you’ll always love.
- Take your time in the design stage. Once building is under way it could be too late to change your mind.
Words by: Debbie Harrison. Photography by: Kate Claridge.