Use air-dry clay to create cute cut-out decorations with simple Scandi charm
You will need:
Pack of air-dry clay (available from Gordon Harris and Spotlight)
Small hand roller
Cookie or fondant cutters
Skewer (or some kind of piercing implement)
- Cut off a workable piece of clay and evenly roll out with a roller to your desired thickness (ours was about 5mm or so). If you don’t have a roller, use any
smooth-surfaced object, like a wine bottle.
- Cut rolled-out clay into rectangular or square shapes, big enough for a cookie
cutter to cut into.
- Using small cookie or fondant cutters, press shapes out of each piece of rectangle/square. You can also cut your own shapes and designs with a scalpel or craft knife. Carefully remove inside piece.
- Gently place each piece onto a clean sheet of baking paper. Pierce a hole through
the top of each decoration. Leave to air dry as per packet instructions.
- Once dry, sand imperfections and rough edges. Wipe off excess dust.
Thread cotton through the hole for hanging.
TIP: Keep the punched-out pieces of clay – pierce a hole through each to make another set of decorations!
Photography by: Wendy Fenwick
Created by: Tanya Wong